This is a 7 night, instructed workshop that features many of the sites painted by Van Gogh in October of 1888, alongside his friend, Paul Gauguin. The workshop is very appropriately taught by Wild Painting instructor Jan van Boeckel, who pushes students to work with color out of their "comfort zone"," leaving their habitual "auto-pilot" ways behind to witness colors and motifs for the very first time. We will work with original texts of Vincent van Gogh, using his thoughts on working with color and light to frame our painting sessions and his memoirs of his time in Arles, which is the very place where he set these thoughts down.
Includes transport to painting sites, accommodation, instruction, and some meals. Basic supplies are provided. Easels and a paint and canvas package can also be provided for an extra fee.
ITINERARY (JUNE 17 - 24, 2017)
- Day One: Arrive in Arles by train and make your way a very short distance to our hotel in the historic district of Arles. Welcome Dinner!
- Day Two: Today we will paint just outside the town at Alyscamps, where Van Gogh and Gauguin painted the same scene side by side. Dinner and critique in the evening.
- Day Three: Travel to St Remy to visit and paint at the asylum. Afternoon on your own in St Remy.
- Day Four: A day on your own sightseeing with a night painting session in the evening of Van Gogh's "Cafe Terrace".
- Day Five: Painting at the hospital garden, where Van Gogh stayed briefly (and painted the garden!) before being checked into the asylum. You may stay as long as you like to continue painting, or break with the rest of the group at lunch.
- Day Six and Seven: Van Gogh loved to walk and he frequently ventured out toward Montmajour Abbey, where he painted Sunset at Montmajour. We will paint there today and bring along a picnic lunch.
- Day Seven: Our last morning painting will be spent in Arles, soaking up the sites and sounds that Van Gogh so enjoyed near his little yellow house. Farewell Dinner.
- Day Eight: Departure Day.
You will stay inside the historic district of Arles in a charming 4 star hotel that is highly rated. Photos here.
PRICE AND REGISTRATION:
- $2699 per person double occupancy; $3099 private room
- Requires a $500 USD deposit to book
- Balance Due By: April 21, 2017
- Register By Date: Final date to register is April 20th, 2017
- Cancel By Date: Final date to cancel your registration is April 20th, 2017
- Please read our Terms and Conditions prior to registration.